Paternity may be a complicated issue when the parents of a child are unmarried, depending on the circumstances. If a man has been living with a child in a family-like situation and has shown responsible actions and commitment, he is also assumed to be the father.

If that is not the case, a paternity test will need to be filed for the court to recognize his parentage and give court orders for support, custody and/or visitation.

Regardless of the marital state and living situation of the alleged father, a man in a variety of circumstances may wish to request a paternity test to be sure he is the parent or to avoid being hit with a surprise later in his life.

The biological father of a child has rights and responsibilities to the child no matter his relationship to the mother.

Either parent can begin a case to establish parentage.Going through court is the longer and more arduous way to establish paternity. A paternity order may be submitted through a California court by the following people with legal standing:

  • The child’s mother or mother of the unborn child
  • The man who believes he is the father to the child or the unborn child
  • An adoption agency
  • A child support agency who believes there is a neglectful situation
  • The child who is aged 12 or older

A paternity order can be submitted through Child Support Services but that is a much longer process than when you hire a professional attorney. Many people don’t want to wait when it comes to establishing paternity.

Paternity is decided so the court can order:

  • Child support
  • Health insurance for the child
  • Physical and legal custody of the child (where the child lives and what part of the decision-making process each parent gets)
  • Visitation
  • Payment of court costs, meaning the fees the court charges to start the case
  • Payment of the genetic testing, and
  • Payment of either party’s reasonable attorney’s fees

This is a situation which requires an attorney to guide you in the process. Mothers who seek to establish paternity of an uncooperative alleged father will be better off consulting an attorney.

Please follow and like us: