To obtain a green card (permanent residence), an individual must meet certain eligibility requirements set forth by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The most common ways to qualify for a green card include:
1. Family-based sponsorship: An individual may be eligible for a green card if they have a close relative who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and is willing to sponsor them.
2. Employment-based sponsorship: An individual may be eligible for a green card if they have a job offer from a U.S. employer and the employer is willing to sponsor them.
3. Asylee or refugee status: An individual who has been granted asylum or refugee status in the U.S. may be eligible for a green card after one year.
4. Special Immigrant Juvenile Status: If an individual is a child who has been declared dependent on a juvenile court and cannot reunite with one or both parents due to abuse, neglect, abandonment or similar basis, may be eligible for a green card.
5. Diversity Lottery: Each year, a certain number of green cards are made available to individuals from countries with low rates of immigration to the U.S. through the diversity lottery program.
It’s important to note that the process of obtaining a green card can be complex, and it’s best to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to ensure that you meet all the requirements and to help you with the process.
Sanjay Sabarwal focuses his practice in the areas of Employment Law, Family Law and Personal Injury Law and provides outstanding service and expertise for your legal right to win cases with personalized attention and insightful counsel. Mr. Sabarwal has been the Co-Owner and House Counsel for Ziba Beauty, member of the American Bar Association, Los Angeles Bar Association, South Asian Bar Association and Orange County Bar Association. He also serves on the Advisory Board for Youth Business Alliance, which connects entrepreneurs to speak at underserved schools in Los Angeles County. He is also a board member for the Artesia Chamber of Commerce. Contact Sanjay at email@example.com or (562) 250-4471.
Watch our YouTube Channel to stay updated on the latest laws here.