An agency cannot withhold a payment or check from an individual as a condition of requiring them to sign a document. This would be considered illegal and a form of duress.

If an agency is refusing to give you your check unless you sign a paper, you should consult with an attorney or contact the appropriate government agency for assistance. You can also file a complaint with the California Labor Commissioner’s Office if you believe that your rights as a worker have been violated.

Additionally, you can also reach out to the California Department of Industrial Relations, they may be able to assist you with your complaint and ensure that your rights are protected.

Sanjay Sabarwal focuses his practice in the areas of Employment Law, Family Law and Personal Injury Law and provides outstanding service and expertise for your legal right to win cases with personalized attention and insightful counsel. Mr. Sabarwal has been the Co-Owner and House Counsel for Ziba Beauty, member of the American Bar Association, Los Angeles Bar Association, South Asian Bar Association and Orange County Bar Association. He also serves on the Advisory Board for Youth Business Alliance, which connects entrepreneurs to speak at underserved schools in Los Angeles County. He is also a board member for the Artesia Chamber of Commerce. Contact Sanjay at or (562) 250-4471.

Watch our YouTube Channel to stay updated on the latest laws here.